Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Danville, Kentucky

It is probably exactly what you are thinking. Danville, Kentucky. Where is that? Why is it so small? Well, it is not a big town, by any means. For those of you who are looking at Centre and are out of state, you are in for a treat. Being a Tennessee girl, I didn't really understand the culture of Kentucky. I mean, there is horse racing and then bourbon. What else to Kentucky besides barefoot hillbillies?

Well you are wrong, don't worry. There are definitely horses (hello, Derby!) and bourbon. Kentucky is just awesome. So awesome in fact that I am in Louisville, KY this summer for an internship. I just can't get enough. The UK and U of L rivalry is hilarious (well, at least to an outsider). People identify where they are from by county, not by city and there is a sense of southern hospitality. Kentucky is special and I know plenty of Centre grads from out of state who stay in the state of Kentucky for reasons like this. 

Okay, so now you are probably wondering about Danville. I love Danville. I love Danville because it IS Centre College. The town is small but it has all the essentials like aWal-Mart (which people frequent a lot, so you can always find a ride). It also has a couple of pretty cool local restaurants like the Pizza Pub (really good pizza), Mermaid's (a beach-themed restaurant), and Melton's Deli (which is always crowded). Oh and we also have five Mexican restaurants- Gaudalahut, Guadalahill, Guadalajara, Orange Guady's, and La Hacienda. Yes, four of those are Guadalaraja Mexican Restaurants that have different names based on the locations. Guadalahut used to be a Pizza Hut. Guadalahill is on a hill. I'm sure you get the picture.

When I say there is plenty to do in Danville, I really mean there is a lot to do at Centre. Don't get me wrong, there are things to do in Danville- take a walk in the historic section, go see a movie, throw frisbee at Millenium Park. But what keeps everyone busy is Centre. There are games to attend, study groups at the library, fraternity parties on the weekends, club meetings, sports practices, and so many other things that keeps a Centre student busy. Not to mention class and homework. 

For those of you from a big city, I've heard that there are some people who have had to adjust to Centre life and how it revolves around campus. But it's a positive adjustment. We are the farthest thing from a suitcase college. Everyone is on campus, involved, and doing something. Hardly anyone packs up for the weekend and goes home. Danville is one of my favorite places in the world simply because Centre College is there. You really do start to value a small town because when you're on campus, you don't miss anything. If Centre was in a big city, it wouldn't be the same. The students wouldn't be so bonded because people wouldn't always be on campus. What else are you going to do in Danville other than hang out with Centre people?

This is going to sound a little silly, but I think that Centre people are some of the best people I've ever met. EVER. Of course I want to be on campus with these people. They are my best friends, my team mates, my sorority sisters, my room mates, my coaches, my professors, my life. 

Being a senior actually makes my heart ache a little because I only have a year left. If there is ever one place that I always want to be, it's not back in my hometown (sorry, Mom), it's not in a big city, and it's not some exotic country abroad. It's Danville, Kentucky. 

No comments:

Post a Comment