Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Team Chemistry

So you are probably wondering what the dynamic is like on the team. Describing the team chemistry is actually a very strange thing to try to do because, well, we are strange. I'll elaborate.

These women that I have had the honor to play with are extremely different. We come from different hometowns, whether it be from Massachusetts to Ohio or Maryland to Tennessee. We all have different majors, ranging from math to English to bio-molecular biology to anthropology. I can proudly say that we have all 4 sororities represented on our team and the other half of our team is unaffiliated. We all are involved in different clubs and have different interests. We all have different study habits and different schedules. We all have different quirks or different things that make us weird. Sounds like we are pretty diverse, right?

To be completely honest, lacrosse is the only thing that would bring most of us together. That's what is so amazing. Despite all of our differences, we put them all aside and make time for each other.

I think that is what is important though. We all realize that outside of lacrosse, we wouldn't be close. So, we take advantage of that. And I mean we really take advantage of it. We dance in the middle of practice (sorry, coach), we have fashion shows on the bus and karaoke time during long trips, we watch youtube videos in the hotel rooms at night, we help each other study (or distract each other a little), we eat dinner together every night after practice (and not because we are forced to). What makes us close is that we are all extremely different and bring something new to the table. The dinner conversations are always lively and even action filled, especially if there are cheese fries involved. We are so loud that most people can tell when we are coming. Almost all of us have pillow pets, yes pillow pets, with names. They make appearances during our away trips. We are unpredictable and crazy. These girls make me laugh so hard to the point of tears. If I say so myself, we are unexplainably goofy, smart, talented, caring, and dedicated women.

Aside from being witty girls, these women push me so much. We all push each other so much. Whether it's a mental pick-me-up in a game or someone is actually pushing another teammate across the finish line to make sure the wind sprints are under 20 seconds. We all challenge everyone on the team to be better in lacrosse, in school, in clubs, etc. I have looked up to the women who are older than me and I can see this cycle continue. We are always bettering ourselves and our teammates simply because we are around each other.

As proof that I actually do love this team, I wanted to say that I am going on my second year of living with 2 of my teammates. Thinking about it, lacrosse is the only reason why we are friends. I didn't even run in the same circles with them my freshman year until lacrosse started in the spring. All I have to say to that is thank God! I don't care if lacrosse is the only reason why I met them- that's one of the reasons why I joined a team. They are my best friends.

Now I don't want you to think that we don't have any friends outside of the team, because we all do. We all are so diverse that we are involved in many other areas of Centre College. So, we do have different friends. However, I can tell you that these girls are the girls I laugh with, I cry with, I call when I have a problem, I eat midnight snacks with, and I go on runs with. Never in my life have I had a support system of 20 girls like I do here. To be honest, it's actually weird referring to these girls as my teammates. I mean, I know they are my teammates, but I firstly consider them my best friends, my study mate, my running buddy, my partners in crime, my therapists, and my core support system.

There is something to be said about a connection that you have with someone on the field- one glance in her general direction and you know everything she's about to do. You know exactly where to feed the ball and she knows where she needs to make that cut. It's a connection that can't really be replaced, but it's extremely appreciated. These girls get me. They're my best friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment